Custom Software vs. Off-the-shelf Software
Disadvantages of Off-the-shelf Software
Benefits of Custom Software
- You have very little influence over the development of the software and normally
cannot have changes you need made to the software.
- Packaged software is very generic, so it is very likely you will need to change
your practices to meet the requirements of the software.
- There may be some ways in which your organization operates that is completely incompatible
with the packaged software.
- The same system is available to your competition and gaining any lasting advantage
from it is unlikely.
- The software is designed to meet your requirements and function to match the way
you wish to operate.
- As custom software is built to your specification it can do whatever you want it
to. It could help solve an existing problem or introduce a brand new product or
- Custom software can be easily integrated into your existing systems in use today
and into future systems.
- It can be changed as your business changes or altered to further improve its performance.
- Custom software is inherently intuitive, as it has been designed for you, and so
easier for your staff to use and get the most from.
- You will enjoy a much higher quality of support for the software as you will be
dealing directly with the developers of the software (that's us) who not only have
time for you but understand how important the software is to your business.
- The custom software is unavailable to your competition thus providing you a unique
advantage over them.
Of course, there are some disadvantages of custom software too. Since you are the
sole entity funding the development of the application so the investment required
is much higher. But, a custom software can deliver a major competitive advantage
to your business while at the same time adding value to it which off-the-shelf software
simply cannot provide. Even the efficiency of run-of-the-mill back-office operations
can be dramatically improved upon. However, you have to expect to pay more for it
than a packaged solution as the software will likely be important to your organization.